Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Cannot Believe I’m Posting This


Warning: potentially unpleasant subject matter about kids and their habits to follow.  Proceed at your own risk.

I have struggled with whether to write this post for some time.  I mean, let’s face it, most posts about are kids are moments of cute or accomplishment, possible wrapped in a little self-deprecation so we don’t come off as bragging.  Or maybe a post is about a genuine concern, but not too great or too ugly or too uncomfortable to write and publish.  This is none of those situations.

I’m just going to put this out there because I am totally befuddled and at the end of my rope and I have no idea what to do.  I’m even willing to put my all-consuming embarrassment aside for the hope that someone might have an idea for me.

So, here goes. Sabrina has completely regressed in the potty training department this summer.  And I mean COMPLETELY.  She was FINE.  She had it DOWN.  And now, wow.  She’s never dry at night anymore, more than a once or twice anomaly, and let’s just say I have to wash a lot of little girl underwear.  I thought maybe it was a phase, but it’s gone on a long, long time now.  I’m seriously worried about preschool starting up again this week.  She was great all last year (I think she had one accident the whole time), but given the past few months, I’m nervous she’ll be coming home with a plastic bag of wet pants every day.

She knows how to do this, and had a handle on it for at least a year.  She’s not sick, since we just went to the doctor and got the all-clear.  I’ve tried setting a timer, offering rewards, so many things, but the issue persists.  She doesn’t drink anything after dinner.   I think she’s just stubborn and hates to stop anything she’s doing, even if it’s just for a minute.  

She is not at all embarrassed.  In fact, I wonder if my kids even possess the embarrassment segment of the brain because nothing bothers them.  Coming from a mother whose anxiety is the stuff of legends, this makes no sense.

They say nobody walks down the aisle still in diapers, but I’m beginning to wonder if Sabrina’s mission is to be the exception.

So there’s my current shame spiral. Dear Obi-wan folks out there, please give me your wisdom.  Or tell me if I should take out stock in Pampers.

3 comments:

  1. I have no advice but wanted to tell you that I do not believe Truman will ever be potty trained either. I often say "No kid has ever gone to college in diapers because Tru isn't in college yet."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we are having us a time here too. Elixabeth has been in a regression since the end of June. It suuuuucks.

    The only thing that works for Elizabeth at all is to not wear underwear. If we are going out, I put her in loose bloomers or pants with no underwear. For some reason, she has accidents in underwear but not when she's going commando. I think maybe she just notices sooner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to tell you on this one. My 8 year stepson still struggles with bathroom issues and has for the 3 years I have known him. I wasn't around when he was potty trained but my husband says it took a long time because his mom left right around that time. We don't have problems at night but we do have issues in the day time when he gets too focused on an activity and doesn't want to stop when nature calls. (He had an accident last weekend because he was too busy playing.) We do make sure he goes immediately before bed and as soon as he wakes up. We have even had to make him watch the clock and go every time the hour changed. I'm not sure if it helped because we are still having issues at home. I will say that he has never had a problem at school. I don't know if it's because they take them to the bathroom at regular intervals during the day or what. Good luck with this. I know it's different with girls than boys.

    ReplyDelete