Saturday, March 17, 2012

Not an Animal Person Today

Unless it’s pouring down rain, when I run, it’s around my neighborhood. And as such, I’ve gotten used to neighbor dogs every so often coming up to me and jumping on me. I don’t like it, but I always try to be friendly to them. Most of the time, after they sniff me and I don’t scream at them, they’re happy to share the outdoors with me. So we coexist just fine.

Until today. (You knew this was coming.)

I was three-quarters of the way through my run when I noticed 2 dogs on the sidewalk some distance up. One shih tzu-looking, long-haired cuddly dog was christening the esplanade, and another fluffy cuddle puppy – something like a Maltese, but who knows, it was a fluffy white dog is what I know - was up ahead. I was still pretty far away when the white dog turned and started running straight at me, so I braced for another jump up situation. He did jump on me, his paw nails grazing my calf, but then I distinctly felt teeth dig into my thigh (even if I didn’t feel it for sure, the dog was not inverted, so it couldn’t have been his nails). I shouted, “Ow!” and looked down to see that the sweet little could of puppy had turned into a vicious hellbeast and was prepped for another jump at me with fangs beared. I shouted for him to stop and hopped backward off the curb. This was when his owner sauntered back over from the mailbox. I know she’d seen me coming down the sidewalk and the entire altercation with her dog. As I rubbed my leg, she asked if the dog had bitten me, and I said, “Yes, but I don’t think he drew blood, “ because the nice girl in me didn’t want her to be worried. She walked right past me (not breaking stride, not moving any faster or slower than she had been moving), and tossed a “Crazy dog!” over her shoulder. And that was it. She just shooed her dogs back into the house.

SHE DIDN’T EVEN APOLOGIZE.

That’s ridiculous, right? Who doesn’t apologize for their pet when said pet bites somebody? I think I stood there in shock for a moment, and then sort of hobbled off until I felt could enough to jog back home, but the more I think about it, the more offended I get. Really? She couldn’t muster one little “I’m so sorry”? Grr.

The 14 year old me wants to toilet paper her house tonight.

At least I wasn’t wearing shorts.

1 comment:

  1. Call animal control! My dog and I were attacked by three dogs while we were out with Elizabeth in her stroller. Now I always carry mace when I walk (buy some of that too!) because it was almost a very nasty situation. I called animal control and they weren't able to actually do anything because they never found them, but it is definitely something you want to get on the record.

    ReplyDelete