Saturday, November 19, 2011

Taking Time

Yesterday, Sabrina and I went to a funeral. I didn’t know the woman who passed all that well, but I’ve heard her name all my life, as she was a great friend of my grandmother. But my grandma is out of town with my parents, and is so disappointed that she couldn’t go, so we represented. It’s never easy to go to funerals, and it’s certainly not easy for a 3 year old, but I’ll have you that it was Sabrina’s idea to stay (I was just going to pay my respected, but she insisted), and behaved beautifully throughout the whole service, despite the lack of nap.

The funeral was sparsely attended, probably for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that Miss Pat lived a long, full life and outlived many of her friends. I’m glad we could be there for her and her family, to be 2 more people to show them how much she was loved, and also for my grandma, who attends so many funerals these days, but couldn’t be here on this particular day for her dear friend. I spoke to one of Miss Pat’s daughters afterward who know my grandma and my mom, and hopefully I was able to convey just how much she and her family meant to ours. That there’s more to family than just blood.

It was just an hour out of my day, an hour I gave for the solace of a grieving family and the peace of mind of someone I love. It wasn’t so much to do.

1 comment: