Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kitchen Genius

For better or worse, we have an electric stove with coil burners. It’s not the fancy gas range you might see on the Food Network, but it gets the job done. However, it isn’t the prettiest thing in the world, so I try to mitigate the ugly by topping the burners with covers that match the style of the room.

Last week, I guess I wasn’t paying quite enough attention (gee, with 2 feral squirrel monkeys running around my feet, whoda thunk?) and turned on the wrong burner. And I discovered this when the tea kettle, sitting atop the cover atop the burner I heated, started whistling. Uh oh.

Luckily, I didn’t burn the house down. The metal cladding on the inside of the cover scorched enough that it started to separate from the metal core, which led to random pops and tiny blue shards flying up into the air. This is both cool from the perspective of the science geek inside me, and bizarre, as it has kept happening for days now. Just when I think it’s done, I’ll here a little Pop! followed by a tinkle as the flakes hit the counter. Weird. I should get the Mythbusters on this one.

I am super glad that this didn’t happen on Thanksgiving. (This means I got the holiday screw up over with, right? Please?)


  1. I burned through the bottom of our tea kettle once by turning on the wrong burner.

  2. Our last cooktop was really old, so the knobs turned on if you bumped them. And that's how I ended up melting a plastic cutting board onto a burner.