Saturday, January 2, 2010

When You're 64

Dear Sammy,

You hit another milestone on Christmas, turning 5 and a 1/3. It’s been mostly a month of fun, with a few gray hair inducing moments thrown in. Although you didn’t sing a note at your Christmas concert, it’s clear you love Christmas, and Christmas music, since you haven’t stopped singing around the house. Maybe you’re just not ready to share your talents with the public.

You truly embraced the holiday season, maybe for the first time. For the first time with this much gusto anyway. I can’t tell you how happy you made me every time I asked you to watch some special or another on TV, and your eyes lit up brighter than the tree. Your mom is a Christmas lunatic, so your delight is the greatest gift you could ever give.

And it’s nice to see some things never change. You’ve rediscovered your undying passion for The Polar Express, to the point where you can recite it almost in its entirety and sing every song (even the ones I can’t make out the words to) all day long. We’ve had to limit your viewing to once a day, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you are watching it well into the spring.

Your list for Santa was clear, specific, and unwavering. And he came through for you. I’m not sure you saw any other gifts on Christmas morning besides your precious Molly and Gordon engines, but you’ve since tested out the rest of them. Certainly Santa was grateful that this year’s selections were much easier to fulfill than last year’s garage and windmill requests, and none of us can wait to hear what you’ll want next time. You’re free to start making that list whenever you want.

And, oh man, the snow. I never got to build a snowman on Christmas, but you did. That’s a treat to remember, Kid. I’m sorry for the morning you woke up ready to make snowballs, only to find that the snow had melted in the night, but I know you’ll be ready for the next time it snows. In 2016.

I’ve mentioned this before, but for the record, you came through your surgery with flying colors. You’re a tough little guy.

And now you’re completely ready to go back to school. It is nothing short of amazing, your love of school, and I hope you can hold onto that enthusiasm. I’ll give you all the help I can.

Onward to a new year, my special boy. You’re gonna be a whole new person by the end of it.

Love,

Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment