Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: Checkpoint

This sort of thing seems to be popping up all over the internet this time of year, and so I’ll let the tide sweep me along for a bit. It’s been a fairly level year for a change, no new babies, houses, or careers, but just the same, it’s nice to have a benchmark on the past 12 months.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Took a road trip as a mom instead of a kid. Started a blog (finally).

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

The closest thing I made to a resolution was to stick to my exercise plan, and I’ve done pretty well with that. I’ll be carrying that forward into the new year, so there’s that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Why yes, my little sister introduced us to baby Lucy on April 22.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Just this week, I found out that one of my very best friends lost her father the day after Christmas. I have many a fond memory of him over the years.

5. What places did you visit?

Wisconsin, and the various states we drove through to get there.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Is there anyone who wouldn’t like to have at least a little more money? Not too many, if they’re honest. I’ll say more patience and quicker response time to quelling kiddie meltdowns.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

No one day stands out, but I certainly won’t forget the birth of my niece (April 22), the very early morning we started off for our trip (July 25), or the day I walked Sammy into his first day of preschool (September 8). Also, both February 13 and November 24 for having to put Sammy through ear tube surgery twice in 1 year.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Survival, for myself and every living under the same roof with me.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Too often feeling like I’m not enough for those I love.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing more than the occasional bump, bruise, or contusion. There was that strange bout of not-strep throat, but nothing serious.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My new camera. I took more decent pictures than I thought I did. Doesn’t stop me from wanting another new camera though.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My cousins for taking us in and treating us like we were at a world-class hotel for our vacation. My entire family for putting up with me when I annoyed even myself.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

No one close earns this distinction, but I’ll go with CBS for canceling 2 shows with over a century and a half of history between them. Boo.

14. Where did most of your money go?

The usual – house, food, kids’ clothing, preschool, van payments. I tried really hard to keep a reign on everything else.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

3 reallys? That’s more excitement than I can handle. Probably the closest was the vacation, even with all the prep work it entailed.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

Probably the new Christmas song Sammy taught all of us this year, “I’ve Been Waiting Here for Christmas,” sung to the tune of “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad.” He’s just so gosh darn cute singing that.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Mostly the same, but for different reasons.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner, thank goodness.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, but working really hard to combat that.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Recognizing what needs to be let go and what doesn’t.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Stressing.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2009?

Family, family, family. From Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, we were celebrating with some branch of the tree. And much gawking over the first white Christmas any of us could remember here.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

I’m sure this question is more for the single set, but I’ll say yes, with my family more every day.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Hard to say. I’ll admit that I usually make sure to watch The Biggest Loser live, but that’s because I like to see Jillian Michaels beat people into submission.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2009?

Family dinner to celebrate both my and my brother-in-law’s birthdays. I was concentrating more on my baby’s 1st birthday coming up, but it was a nice, low-key day.

24. What was the best book you read?

I’m fairly certain that I didn’t finish an entire book this year, and that is just too sad for words. I’m working through The Five Love Languages, which hopefully will be on my husband’s list next year.

25. What did you want and get?

A new winter coat. A positive hearing test an x-ray showing no broken bones for my boy. Excellent health reports at each doctor’s visit for my kids.

26. What did you want and not get?

To avoid a second ear tube surgery for my son. Let’s hope #4 is the last.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

I’m saying The Princess and the Frog, which may or may not be the only movie I saw in a theater this year.

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

A new friend adopted Sammy, and by extension the rest of us, and I’m so grateful to have Miss JT in our lives. Otherwise, the answer is sadly no, and something I’m working on changing.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

More local friends (see above).

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Nobody Sees You When You’re Inside Your Own House, with a dash of If You Wear Workout Clothes Out in Public, Maybe They’ll Think You’re More of an Athlete than You Are.

31. What kept you sane?

Writing, singing and dancing when no one is watching, making my kids smile.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Man, I'm at a loss. My husband will be pleased by this answer.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

As with most people, health care seems to be a button pusher.

34. Who did you miss?

The list is long and distinguished, from those I’ve lost to those too far away. I love you all.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

Faith will get you through absolutely everything. Take a moment to see the plus side of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment