Thursday, January 7, 2010

Two of a Kind Beats Everything

My son has a special connection with my great uncle, Larry. Yes, that makes him Sammy’s great-great uncle. It was instant, unbreakable, and something we outsiders may never understand. But these two are kindred spirits.

I believe their first meeting was on Sammy’s first trip to Lake Tahoe, when he was 1. That’s when the seeds of this relationship were planted. But the story I really want to tell began on our trip a year and a half ago. Sammy was a rough and rumble 4 year old with a passion for all things on wheels, in particular trains. Thomas trains, specifically. He brought along a small selection and spent many hours outside our condo running his engines through rock tunnels and creating spectacular crashes. Uncle Larry was tickled to watch him every time, listening to the constant dialog the little guy created, and often joining in to help make an ever bigger mountain for the trains to climb.

One day, we ventured out to a craft fair, and immediately came upon a booth selling wooden vehicles. Every manner of plane, train, boat, truck, and car was on display. I was happy to buy Sammy his favorite, but after an hour of playing with every single one, I was still no closer to figuring our which one it was. Clearly, Sammy was having a ball, and I was desperately in need of caffeine. Larry circled us a couple of times, more surprised to find us still there with each pass, and chuckling to himself as he went on. I finally pried Sammy away, promising we’d go back when he could decide what he wanted, and we eventually did. He finally settled on a tractor pulling a cart, which he filled with tiny wooden barrels that belong to a different truck, but the vendor was willing to sell the whole kit and caboodle to us. Sammy went off with his prize, eye gleaming, while I secretly picked out a few others to put away as future gifts. He showed his new treasure to Uncle Larry, who made sure to express his approval of the selection.

Fast forward 2 months. One evening as were ate dinner, the doorbell rang. I stepped out on the porch to find a rather large package and a UPS man waving goodbye. The address showed it came from Uncle Larry. Inside, a note read that this was a present for Sammy. I started to unfurl large sheets of newspaper to reveal 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 beautifully handcrafted wooden train cars that stretched out over 3 ½ feet when coupled together. It was amazing. I knew Larry had a hobby of woodworking, but I was absolutely floored but the intricacy and the workmanship in this massive project, which he started and finished in under 8 weeks. It was amazing. I had no words, but Sammy sure did. I think Larry hears Sammy’s “Wow!” 5 states away. I’m fairly sure Sammy would have slept with that train if I’d let him.

This past summer, we met up again on our summer vacation, and Larry walked right in with a sixth car (this one to make it a circus train) for a certain locomotive enthusiast. Sammy’s hug of gratitude probably could’ve ruptured Larry’s spleen. There may be a near 7 decade age difference, but it’s clear they are on the same wavelength. Sammy always has that big a squeeze ready for his Uncle Larry.

At Christmas, my folks asked Larry to build little doll highchairs for each of their granddaughters. When they arrived, there was another package included, for guess who. When Sammy opened his dump truck on Christmas morning, his eyes almost exploded with delight, and he set about immediately to fill up and dump the trailer repeatedly with any cargo he could find. And he said, “Now I have an Uncle Larry Truck to go with my Uncle Larry Train!” I hope Larry knows how much joy he has given the little blond boy, and by extension, the rest of us. His talent is clear, and so is his love.

So, thank you, Uncle Larry, from all of us, and especially Sammy, who loves you beyond measure, beyond distance, and beyond all time.


1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!

    Or is than an acceptable accolade for such a manly he-toy?
    I absolutely love the darling high chairs that he made for all the girls. The detail of his work is amazing.

    I would love to send out an extra special thank you to Uncle Larry for the twin's chairs. They are indeed heirlooms to be treasured forever.

    Can we get a photo of the train? I'd love to see it. Amanda was telling me about it but didn't get a photo (in spite of taking a gazillion photos of the holidays).

    Karen
    (The twin cousins' Nanna)

    ReplyDelete