Monday, December 28, 2020

2020: Checkpoint

Well, this should be... something. I don' think I'm too bitter, but when I think about this past year, my face scrunches up like I just sucked a lemon, so we'll see how this goes.  Fair warning.

1. What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before?

Lived during a pandemic.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Nope.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Zero babies.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

This is the worst question this year. At least it's early in the progression.

My best friend, Sarah, died from metastatic breast cancer. I could not attend her funeral.

Also, hundreds of thousands more from this horrible virus.

5. What places did you visit?

Beyond the grocery store and essential places? Nowhere. One day escape to a state park, outdoors, distant,

6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?

Global immunity to and the eradication of the SARS-COV-2 virus.

Confirmed continuation of New Tech High School @ Coppell.

People to be wiser and more compassionate to all others.

7. What dates from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

The week of March 10: when it all went downhill.  November 8: new dog day.  December 5: see question 4.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Survival. Quite literally.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I'm sure they were many, but let's try to swing this thing upward.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Thankfully, no. Let's do that again.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

The dog?  I feel like I'm supposed to say the dog here.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

We did not destroy each other despite stay at home orders, ridiculous stress, and virtual school, so I'm going to say my family.  Science, for working tirelessly to study this virus and develop vaccines at a superhero pace.  Healthcare workers, for taking care of everyone in unfathomable circumstances.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The Hatfields and the McCoys of the United States.

As previously stated, basically anyone who clings to arbitrary lines drawn in the sand for no other reason that they were on one side of the line when it was drawn.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Evergreen: Day to day stuff.  Amazon Prime.  Taxes.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Science. Vaccines. Kids with smiles on their faces.

16. What song will always remind you of 2020?

I tried to ask Sammy and Sabrina about this.  All 3 of us came up with bupkis.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?  Oh, come on.

b) thinner or fatter? Probably the same. Ish.

c) richer or poorer? 'Bout same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

I have absolutely no idea. There wasn't much we COULD do, so what I did do was all right by me. I will say hugs.  Because we couldn't.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worried. But it was warranted this year.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2020?

Christmas Eve dinner. Zoom Mass. Santa.

The kids (ahem, SABRINA) got up earlier that ever before even though they are teenagers (or close enough).  Santa bacchanalia. Parents house for socially-distanced, open window Christmas. Quietish and nice. No one was sick and everyone smiled (or at least I think they did, behind their masks).

21. Did you fall in love in 2020?

We got a dog. She's adorable.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

The only thing I remember watching consistently was General Hospital. Chris and I picked up New Girl as our current together show.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2020?

Since it occurred right at the start of the pandemic precautions, not too much.  Family togetherness, which is all I really needed anyway. Everyone was healthy (a recurring but important theme).

Oh, and lasagna.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Martian.

25. What did you want and get?

The guest bathtub refinished, finally.  A new computer desk that gives more space to the living room. Kids happy to be in school.

I'm not adding the dog here because I was never really into having a dog, but the other 3 in the house were, so it seems 2020 is the year I wore down to the bone. But she's adorable and doesn't shed, so, yay dog.

26. What did you want and not get?

See question 6.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

Hamilton.  This is a no brainer.

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

Virtually, since all things happened virtually this year. My friends of the internet and, in particular, a crazy little group of adults who play a silly little game like Animal Crossing who showed kindness, generosity, and a general appreciation for nerdiness, kept me going this year.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

SEE QUESTION 6.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?

Everything is covered.

31. What kept you sane?

Honestly, Animal Crossing.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Nothing fancy here.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

I do not have the energy for this one. Just consider me stirred.

34. Who did you miss?

See question 4.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2020.

I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment