Sunday, November 6, 2016

Something Nice

A few months ago, my mother-in-law tripped over a throw rug in her family room and ended up lying there for some time until someone found her.  She was fine, thank goodness, but it did make me start (again) thinking about ways to make her home safer for her.  She's 93.

In the short term, I thought a larger area rug for the room would help, eliminating most of the tripping hazards in the space (she has several throw rugs, well, thrown around the place, and any one of them could become a banana peel in an instant).  I dove into research to find the largest reasonably priced rug that would fit.  Did you know rugs are crazy expensive?  Because whoa.

I finally found one that fit the bill and that Chris actually liked (BIG deal there) and hit purchase.  We drove it down to her today and between the 4 of us, managed to unroll the giant sucker across the room without anyone losing a toe (I came close, but it's still attached, so we're all good).  A quick run to Walmart for stick-it-down tape, and we were in business.  The rug still has some settling to do (tell me they eventually lay flat after being unfurled), but it makes such a difference already.  My MIL just kept step-step-stepping around on it with a  smile on her face, so I think that means success. 

Most of the time, I feel like I don't do enough for others, especially no-so-nearby family members who could use some help.  I'm glad I could do something nice this time around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment