Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: Checkpoint



Oh look, here we are again.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?

Way to start off with a tough one.  Planned and executed a family trip as the official cruise director.  Became a Room Mom and a Cookie Mom (heaven help me).  

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Here's what I listed last year:
·         Organize and label all the digital photos from 2013 (I'm up to May) and make my 2013 photo album of the best shots.
·         Finish converting all my old VHS tapes to DVD so I can throw all those old cassettes out and use my bookshelf for actual books.

I finished organizing all the pictures I had in September, and that was a wonderful feeling.  Have I done anything with September through December?  Nope.  But that seems more manageable, and I'll tackle it once the kids go back to school so I can make my 2014 photo album.  And I promise not to let this get as out of hand again.

I did convert all my tapes (except the purchased ones - I need to buy a gizmo that will let me do those) and a good portion of my dad's when I realized I didn't finalize any of them.  So I'm working through that.  But the old tapes are gone, gone, gone.  Nice.

As for this year, I want to keep better track of the budget.  I let that get away from me at the end of this year, and that made me feel bad.  And I'd just like to keep on top of things better.  I'm a terrible procrastinator.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My cousin's wife, and a good handful of pocket friends.  But I haven't met a fresh baby in some time and I'd like 2015 to rectify that, please.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5. What places did you visit?

Charleston, South Carolina. I went there by myself in 2013, but brought the family back this year.  We hung out with Chris's nieces and their families and took the kids to see an ocean for the first time.  They LOVED it.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?

Same as last year: I always say money, and that's always true.  Patience.  I'd really like some more of that.  Chris being able to come home earlier in the evenings so he can spend more time with us.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

The kids' birthdays.  July 24, the day my baby boy stood up on a surfboard.  Lots of little moments that don't have to correlate to a particular day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Getting new windows.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Lather, rinse, repeat, sigh: getting frustrated too easily and defaulting to yelling as the answer.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing serious, thank goodness.  Sabrina got an ugly stomach bug right before Thanksgiving, then the flu in mid December.  They boys came down with it just after Christmas.  I am the last man standing, and I hope to remain so.  ALL the vitamin C for me.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

The new Christmas tree, although I think I made the purchase last year.  But I did buy all new LED lights, and it's so pretty, I'm reluctant to take it down.  Anybody know where I can get some Valentine's ornaments?

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The school board for hiring our awesome vice principal as the new principal.  My kids' teachers. All my internet ladies.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

A certain company that makes people come to work even though they have the flu, ahem.

14. Where did most of your money go?

It just vanishes. Who knows.  The usual suspects, I suppose.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

That there was a brand new Jeni's ice cream shop in Charleston when we visited.  Getting back into painting my nails because it makes me feel pretty.  Bell Bell peppermint bark ice cream (that I haven't been able to find all month, gosh darn it).

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?

Please.  "Shake it Off" is the only acceptable answer.  It was everywhere.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? About the same, although all this flu has me rather bummed at the moment.
b) thinner or fatter? I was down a tad at my last doctor's appointment, so I'll take that.
c) richer or poorer? Well, I didn't win the lottery, so.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Stopping before I get ramped up.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

"Sammy, hands out of your mouth!"  "Sabrina, we look with our eyes, not our hands!"  These sound eerily similar to last year's quotes, and indeed they are.  Let's get them gone, 2015.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2014?

Since we wouldn't be going to Mass early in the day, I feel like I got an extra holiday day.  We hung out, watched movies, and relaxed.  So nice.

We had an appetizer dinner at my grandma's residence, and went to Mass in their chapel.  It was extremely hot, and Sabrina was miserable because of it, but we were together, and that's what mattered.  Then the kids went to bed, and Santa did his thing.

21. Did you fall in love in 2014?

Still weird.  Next.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I love TV, but I'm sure I have a favorite right now.  Nothing new anyway.  Shame.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2014?

I ignored it as hard as possible, again.

24. What was the best book you read?

I'm in the middle of Amy Poehler's Yes Please, and she is such a wonderful writer.  I knew she was funny, but this is beyond.  Very smart and entertaining.

25. What did you want and get?

Chris to be with us Christmas Eve.  Good, dermatologist recommended skin potions.

26. What did you want and not get?

The Big There - a magic housecleaning fairy.  A truckload of cash backed up into my garage.  A significantly smaller backside.

A really good local, in person friend with whom I really connect and can hang out.

Also, a smartphone.  I really need to join this century.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

I have not set foot in  a theater this year, to my recollection.  I loved Veronica Mars, though (thank you streaming video).

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

I got to know people in my community better now that I'm more involved (see question #1).  I feel like I have people to go to in a pinch now.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Always, always, always: the ability to communicate anything to my children and have them understand instantly.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?

Long tunics and leggings.  Basically public pajamas.

31. What kept you sane?

Running.  Sugar.  Iced coffee.

Still not sane, but maybe a tick closer.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I don't think there was anyone new, so I'll go with last year's answer. Kyle Chandler.  

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

Healthcare.  Are we ever going to get this right?

34. Who did you miss?

Everyone I don't see often enough (which is most everyone).

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.

It always feels better to get something done instead of waiting for it to go away.


No comments:

Post a Comment