Friday, May 23, 2014

11



I wasn't tagged on this, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to blow the dust off around here.  I mean, 1 post for this entire year when we're staring down the end of the 5th month is pretty darn sad. Let's let this serve as re-entry, shall we?  (Thanks, Jennie, for instigating this little push that I sorely needed.)

1. What is your favorite kind of cheese? I love ALL cheese. Half of my family is from Wisconsin. It's in my blood.

2. What are you excited about? For some reason, this is a tough question.  It's not that I don't have interesting and happy things happening, but I can't pinpoint anything in particular.  Maybe I'm trying too hard to find a Big Thing to mention and I don't really have any Big Things on the horizon, and that's OK.  The summer is starting to shape up (even though I don't yet have a trip planned for the family and I've got lots of eyeballs looking at me on that one, plus it's making me a little itchy), so that's pretty good.  Yes,  I'm looking forward to summer.

3. How did you celebrate your last birthday? I know I went out to lunch with my parents and my kids made me some lovely cards, but I was doing my level best to ignore my birthday, and it looks like I did a pretty good job because I remember nothing else.

4. What is on your bedside table? My alarm clock from 1998 (it says so right on the front - yay for longevity, boo for really ugly), a somewhat fancy box I keep all my manicure tools in, several books  that I own and may or may not read (but that do an excellent job of lifting up the ancient clock so I can see it over my pillows), several library books that I also may or may not read, a tablet for when I'm ignoring said books, a lamp and the telephone.  Perhaps this list will explain why I am ignoring my birthdays from now on.

5. What do you order from the movie theater concession stand? I am cheap.  I can't remember the last time I ordered from the concession stand.  But now I feel like I'm missing out.  But then again, I almost never go to the movies, and cannot, in fact, tell you the last movie I saw in the theater.  (That's not true - it was Frozen.)  Chances are I will be dragged to see X-Men 9000 or whatever it's called, so perhaps I will report back later.

6. Do you have a garden? What’s growing? It is tiny and currently consists of parsley and oregano left over from last year that by some miracle did not die.  It will soon include basil, which I bought a few days ago.

Quick story - earlier this spring, Sammy's scout troop needed to complete a gardening project, so I offered up out empty flower bed.  The boys planted 12 plants (tomatoes, basil, onions, carrot, among others).  Guess how many are living today?  Wrong - 1! At least until I check tomorrow and then you'll probably be right.

7. Any summer plans? Very good question.  I did finally find reasonably priced swim lessons not occurring with 200 other kids at the same time, so that's all set.  There's a week of vacation bible school in there.  And I just finished talking to all the teachers about what subject to work on with the kids over the break (yes, I'm that mom, but in my defense, they're those kids).  Chris desperately wants to travel, but he also wants new windows, so he's going to need to grow that money tree soon. 
I would also be more than happy to welcome any visitors (ahem).

8. Which TV couple(s) are you rooting for? Deacon and Rayna on Nashville, because he is all kinds of hot (even though I also remember him being goofy on Whose Line Is It Anyway? back in the day and my mind can't quite reconcile that). Please don't tell my husband.  I mentioning my List in passing the other day, and you'd have sworn he thought I was heading out to track a guy down that minute.  Simmer down, Husband.

9. What’s the last thing you bought? A t-shirt for Sammy that espouses my personal loyalty to Pluto as a planet.  I realize this is ironic because he'll be taught the new theory and will eventually reject my awesome shirt, but for now, I can use my son as a billboard.

10. What’s one thing you are passionate about? My kids.  I will fight tooth and nail for them.

11. What are you grateful for this week? I am grateful for the amazing school year this has been for both my kids.  They had the exact right teachers for them, and they blossomed.  And while Sabrina is lucky to have the same teacher (and class) next year, I am mourning the loss of the teachers Sammy will leave as he moves to the next grade and the very special teacher who is retiring.  We had a meeting today during which we all ended up praising and thanking each other, and it was just the best sense of right place, right time ever.  Retiring Teacher has promised to keep in touch, and is even going to send Sammy postcards from her summer road trip (you'll know when that happens because you'll hear his head explode).  And now that our "business" relationship is ended, I have no qualms making the other teachers bend to my will and be my best friends.  Maybe I'll invite them to book club (hey, book club, I have some great new people to include!).  But seriously, it has been the best year, and I'm so anxious for next year because I just can't see how it can be topped (here's hoping).

Tag, you're it.  Yes, you.

1 comment:

  1. I know a REALLY great part of the country you should travel to with the family and I know of one family member who has saved up enough money for air fare... so when should we book you? ;)

    ReplyDelete