Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: Checkpoint


Around round up.  Here we go.

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?

Took my baby to her first day of kindergarten.  Got on an airplane without my children or husband or any business obligations.  Helped my son prepare for and make his First Reconciliation and Communion.  Hugged members of the Dillon Panthers and the Bartlett administration.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I specified anything last year.  But I do have a couple goals I want to achieve early in the new year:

·         Organize and label all the digital photos from 2013 (I'm up to May) and make my 2013 photo album of the best shots.
·         Finish converting all my old VHS tapes to DVD so I can throw all those old cassettes out and use my bookshelf for actual books.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Internet babies abound.  I'm all about the virtual snuggles.  Also, Sammy's karate instructor's wife.  She brings the baby to the studio a lot, so I get to admire his squishiness frequently.  

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Last year, I said I hoped I'd be able to give this question a big, fat no.  And so it has come to pass.

5. What places did you visit?

Cross country road tripping again, so the usual.  And South Carolina.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?

I always say money, and that's always true.  Patience.  I'd really like some more of that.  Chris being able to come home earlier in the evenings so he can spend more time with us.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May 3, Sammy's First Communion.  May 22, Sabrina's preschool graduation, where she surprised us all with solo speech about the meaning of the day.  June 8, the day I got within 15 feet of Connie Britton's hair.  November 1, the day my grandmother moved into her new apartment.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I wish I had a big, bright, completed goal to put here, but I don't.  I finally got the carpets cleaned?

9. What was your biggest failure?

Lather, rinse, repeat, sigh: getting frustrated too easily and defaulting to yelling as the answer.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Knock all the wood in the world, we have all be relatively healthy this year.  But there are currently bouts of the flu and RSV being battled in my family, and there are a few more hours to the year.  I'm not counting anything out.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

It's so small, but it's made me so happy - a tiny electric milk frother from Ikea.  Instead of longing for fancy tea and coffee lattes that I'm not going to buy, I can make a pretty decent version at home.  In fact, I'm sipping one right now.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My kids' teachers. All my internet ladies.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Companies that employ many people and yet take no consideration of the fact that they are, indeed, people.

14. Where did most of your money go?

The yacht, the fleet of Rolls Royces, the mansion in Maui.  Just kidding.  Bills, mortgage, taxes, children.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Meeting these folks.





16. What song will always remind you of 2013?

Come on.  Is there any other answer than, "What Does the Fox Say?"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? You think I'm stepping on a scale for this?
c) richer or poorer? I feel broke, but that's not true.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Taken a breath.  

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

"Sammy, stop biting your fingers!"  "Sabrina, stop touching things!"

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2013?

Well, Chris got stuck at work late Christmas Eve, so we couldn't attend Mass as a family, so that stunk.  The other three quarters of us went to my grandma's apartment to continue an old tradition in a new location.  Christmas Day was a blur of presents, food, and family.  We didn't get to celebrate with Chris's entire family as in years past, but we did spend a day with his mom and sister's family, and vowed to pull everyone together next year.  All in all, thumbs up.

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?

This is a weird question.  Next.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

If I don't get to watch Scandal live, I get to it in the DVR as fast as possible.  The Big Bang Theory is the only show Chris and I watch together and we still laugh so hard every time.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2013?

I ignored it as hard as possible.

24. What was the best book you read?

I read all of Rainbow Rowell's books, and I really enjoyed her writing.  Where'd You Go, Bernadette?  The Divergent series, although I am prepared to loathe the movie(s).

25. What did you want and get?

New TV/internet/phone service for less than I have been paying.  Tall boots and skinny jeans that I feel like might look not too bad on me.  A trip to Charleston with lots of lovely internet friends.  The right kindergarten teacher for Sabrina.

26. What did you want and not get?

A magic housecleaning fairy.  A truckload of cash backed up into my garage.  A significantly smaller backside.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

Did I go to a movie this year?  Oh yeah, we saw Monsters University.  So, by default, that.

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

I got to meet Miriel in person, even though I probably terrified her with a random e-mail request and then brought my entire family with me.  And all the Blathering ladies I hadn't previously met.  I love them so.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

The ability to communicate anything to my children and have them understand instantly.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?

Dresses make you look like you put in a lot of effort when you really didn't.

31. What kept you sane?

Running.  Sugar.  More running as a result of all the sugar.

Wait, sane?  I cannot claim that.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Kyle Chandler.  Sat 17 feet away from him (making room for Connie Britton's hair). He's handsome.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

Healthcare. The craziness surrounding this is just ridiculous.

34. Who did you miss? 

Everyone I don't see often enough (which is most everyone).

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.

Whatever is bothering you, it will seem smaller with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment