Friday, May 17, 2013

Ranty Rant About My Terrible Week

This is my entry for the pain olympics this week. Feel free to just give me my medal and walk on by if you wish.

A nice Mother's Day for a cynic like me sure should have been a sign of things to come.
Monday, I had to take Sammy to the doctor for the Ears That Never Stop Draining (technical term).  Seriously, so much goo (and probably too much information, but oh well).  And to do so, I had to take him out of school, which I hate hate hate to do.  And then the price of the all powerful (except in this case, which maybe proves the rule?) ear drops has jumped up (also, no sample bottles to restock my stash), so it will be even more painful to maintain his weirdo ears.  At least the evil office lady didn't attack me and demand immediate payment in an amount that will certainly be wrong.
I believe at this point, I thought things were looking up.  Hahahahahahahaha.

Tuesday started out as a lovely day, and even though I had to rearrange our schedule on the fly, I'm glad I was able to take Sabrina to an impromptu playdate at the park because it was gorgeous and relaxing (even if there was a lot of food allergy talk to which I couldn't contribute) and worth the change of plans.  The two of us then went about our errands.  But the moment we got home, I knew all hell was about to break loose, since my answering machine was blinking like it was going to explode and I had 7 calls on the ID list.  I hadn't thought to turn on my cell phone (I rarely do, and that's something I need to work on since it's the 21st century and all).  Long story short, my 90 year old grandmother's house had been robbed while she was out of town.

Did I mention Sammy was due to perform in a school show less than an hour from that moment?  One I'd promised to attend and record under pain of 8 year old freakout?

Luckily, my rescue ranger husband, who works just around the corner from grandma's house, was able to go over and meet the police.  I got there as soon as I could (I missed the second performance, but them's the breaks) to relieve Chris and wait for the forensics team.   Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of evidence to find, but the house wasn't completely ransacked and the damage was minimal.  Chris had to miss Sammy's evening performance and my very kind brother-in-law drove in through ugly rush hour traffic so they could board up the broken glass door.  In the meantime, I transferred much of the contents of Grandma's house to my dining room.

Wednesday evening brought the horror of tornadoes to our area, and while we were ultimately spared a repeat of last year, the danger cut a little too close and I was on high alert the better part of the evening and into the night.  The kids and I have some post traumatic stress from last spring, so sleep wasn't something that came easily.  And even though I did finally get a little rest, I woke up to find a tornado had gone through Chris's hometown where his mother lives.  In fact, I found a picture of a giant uprooted tree on Facebook from his cousin who lives 2 houses down the street.  My mother-in-law says she and the house are fine, but I'm thinking a little look-see is in order ASAP.

Which brings me to Thursday.  I'd scheduled a doctor's appointment for Sammy a month ago and had arranged for my neighbor to watch Sabrina since I'd have to be involved in said appointment.  Everything was going along swimmingly when the power went out.  And that's a trigger for Sammy.  I did my best to calm him down, and he did, but the power never did come back, so we didn't get to finish, which means everything is now delayed until I can rebook, and who knows how long that will be.  Great.

I live in a city.  I know about traffic.  But man, was I snake bit trying to get back across town to pick up Sabrina.  It seemed like every few feet somebody had a fender bender or stalled out.  A 30 minute trip took an hour and a half, and I felt horrible that I was so late returning when my neighbor had a busy evening herself.  Luckily, it was OK (Sabrina went along for neighbor kid's piano lesson), but I still feel like a jerk for botching the timing so badly.  And now I get to do it all over again.  Wee!

I think that's enough proof that this week needs to flush itself down the toilet and never be given another thought.  I mean, that's got to get me a bronze medal at least, right?  Or maybe a good, stiff drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment