Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Checkpoint



Let's just keep this thing going, shall we?

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?

Took my family to visit a new to them city. Left both kids with my parents so Chris & I could take a vacation together.  Celebrated 10 years of marriage.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Nope, no specific resolutions.  I just keep trying to do better each day.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Lots of friends from the internet had delicious little babies this year, and that I get to see pictures of them all the time is one of my greatest joys.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Sadly, my aunt and uncle passed away within weeks of each other.  The first was more or less expected, the second was a huge shock.  I'm hoping next year will get a big, fat no on this question.

5. What places did you visit?
 
Family across the country.  And Hawaii (yay!).

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

A big time winning lottery ticket?  Well, as always, a little more cushion in the budget, more patience for and from everyone in this house, and more laughter.  Not that we lacked laughter, but we can certainly take more.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

March 21, waiting to hear about my mom's ultimately successful surgery and turning another year older.  April 3, hiding in the closet with Sabrina while giant hail pelted our house.  July 27, leaving on a family trip only to find out my grandma had fallen and broken her hip.  August 8, meeting up with my parents and caravanning my grandma back home to recover.  October 19, finally leaving for our Hawaiian trip, so many years in the making.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

This isn't my achievement, but Sammy's: my boy is making big strides at school, continually coming home with positive reports and getting excellent feedback from teachers who get him.  It is awesome.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Getting frustrated too easily and defaulting to yelling as the answer.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I'm actually sick as I type this, but it's just some mega-cold/upper respiratory thing that'll pass one of these days.  Otherwise, we 4 were mostly unscathed.  However, my mom developed kidney cancer and my grandmother broke her hip.  Thankfully, both are recovered now.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Another new roof (not that I wanted it, evil hail storm).  Actually, the house got spiffed up and paint because of that storm, and it looks pretty nice, so I'll say that.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Everyone who spared a good thought for me over the year - you're aces in my book.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Let's not dwell on the negative, shall we?

14. Where did most of your money go?

Bills. Insurance deductibles. Taxes. Same old, same old.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Going to Hawaii.  Is there anyone who wouldn't?

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?

"Call Me Maybe" is the only viable answer to this question.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? I'm thinking about the same, give or take a cookie..
c) richer or poorer? I always feel poorer this time of year, but probably not by too much.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Chilled out.  

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying. Procrastinating.  This will always be true.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2012?

Rolled with the family again. We celebrated with the Hub’s family the weekend before Christmas, went to my grandma’s church on Christmas Eve, and then Santa exploded in our living room Christmas morning before we went to my parents’ for brunch plus.  I'd still be celebrating if this stupid germ hadn't taken me down since then.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?

I'll just repeat what I said last year - more with my kids every single day.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I will never be able to pick just one.  I love TV more than should be allowed.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2012?

I waited through my mom's surgery and then ate cake in the hospital cafeteria.  Calories don't count there, you know.

24. What was the best book you read?

I am proud to say I read 11 of the 12 books my book club picked out (we all skipped the last one which would've rolled into 2013 anyway).  Of those, I really liked Fool, although I was the only one who got to it, so I didn't have anyone to discuss it with.  It's funny.

25. What did you want and get?

A new camera, which enabled me to take 1,000 picture on our trip that i have yet to organize or even show anyone.  A new, working computer with which to do everything mentioned in the previous sentence.  Lots and lots of love.

26. What did you want and not get?

A money tree in the backyard.  A self-cleaning house.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

Brave was pretty.  Hotel Transylvania made my kids giggle like lunatics.  And that's about the extent of my movie watching.

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

I really got to know my neighbor, Jodi, and I'm so glad to have a friend whose house I can walk to.  And I sound like a 5th grader.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

If there is a magical key to making things better, I don't know what it is exactly.  But I'll go with inner peace.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Please don't let anyone realize I'm still wearing my workout clothes from this morning.

31. What kept you sane?

Chocolate.  Twitter.  My family (also the cause for any lack of sanity, but what can you do).

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Next.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

I'd really like to never hear the term fiscal cliff ever again.

34. Who did you miss?

Family and friends too far away or gone too soon.  

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.

You will always be in a position to wonder when is this going to end and I can't believe it's over, all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment