Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011: Checkpoint

Here we go again.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?

Went on a road trip without my family. Had laser surgery. Enrolled my baby in preschool.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn’t make any specific resolutions last year. If I did, I probably wouldn’t have kept them very well. I did manage to exercise every day I wasn’t sick or on vacation like I’ve been doing in recent year, so let’s call that a yes.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My sister had her second daughter, Holly, a month early, when the rest of us were on vacation so we’d be home later when she was actually due to give birth. My niece-in-laws also had babies, 1 boy (Kevin), and 1 girl (Savannah), so I’m a great aunt all over again. Also, various new friends that I’m just getting to know, so yay, new babies to cuddle.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thank heavens, no. I did attend 1 funeral, as a proxy for my grandmother, who was out of town.

5. What places did you visit?

Yet another cross country caravan to visit the fam. Also, Austin to meet a bunch of fantastic ladies at the Blathering.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

Lots and lots of tax-free money. That’s a pipe dream, but still, I’d like to have it. More patience.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

July 7, the day my sister had her baby early when we were 1200 miles away. October 19, the day I left for the Blathering. November 26, the day I hosted Thanksgiving for Chris’s side of the family for the second time, making it a tradition whether I like it or not.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I made new, in person friends. For a shy gal like me, this is a huge accomplishment.

9. What was your biggest failure?

It bears repeating: not having enough wisdom in the moment, and losing my temper spectacularly as a result. Not having the words to communicate properly, and losing my temper spectacularly as a result. Bottling up my feelings, and losing my temper spectacularly as a result. I really need to learn a a new trick.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I found out I had kidney stones that I will blame squarely on my last pregnancy. I let my doctor play Asteroids on my backside with a big laser, and thus far, have had no repercussions or further problems. Whew!

I truly hope next year’s answer is nope, nada, nuthin’.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I am still eyeing a new camera, but that may or may not be purchased by the end of the year. I’ll say a pair of flattering yet comfortable jeans that I can wear and not feel squished like a sausage by the end of the day.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Sammy really likes going to school every day, despite the challenges he faces. The doctors helping him improve his communication so much this year. My parents, for all the help they give us in so many ways. Chris, especially for tackling the giant task of bathroom remodeling, among other things.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

A certain wireless company for advertising service they were never going to provide and committing blatant fraud.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Bills. Taxes. The new roof (thanks, hail storm). Doctors.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Going to the Blathering. I really hope I can work it out to go in 2012.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

Anything by Adele. It was her year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Mostly the same, but for different reasons.
b) thinner or fatter? Also about the same.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. Time for some belt tightening.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Maintaining my cool over the little things.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

As always, worrying. Procrastinating. Spending without a good reason.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2011?

Much like years, past, we spent time with family. We celebrated with the Hub’s family out in the country the weekend before Christmas, went to my grandma’s church on Christmas Eve, and went through the shock and awe of Santa Christmas morning before heading over to my parents’ house. I made a concerted effort to enjoy the season leading up to the big day more, and I think I did that.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?

It continues to be true: more with my kids every single day. And I simply adore the new friends I’ve made, both in my neighborhood, and through the powers of the internet.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I’m so sad to say goodbye to All My Children and One Life to Live. I grew up on soaps, and TV will never be the same. I never fail to laugh with my Hub at Big Bang Theory and Community. And I’ll admit, I’m digging Hart of Dixie and Once Upon a Time. My inner 13 year old is very happy this season.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2011?

Oh man, no clue. Since Sabrina’s birthday is so close to mine, it overshadows everything near it on the calendar.

24. What was the best book you read?

Oh, I thought of another thing I’ve never done before – I joined a book club! And I managed to read almost all of the books! That said, I think I liked Water for Elephants and the Help the best.

25. What did you want and get?

Healthy kids. The trip to the Blathering. A tablet computer.

26. What did you want and not get?

Some things stay the same - a really good method to help Sammy focus in school, and a huge pile of money. Third time’s the charm?

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

I was really surprised by Moneyball, because I think I’m the only woman on earth that doesn’t swoon for Brad Pitt, but he was remarkable. And I like that the Help stayed as true to the original text as it did.

28. Did you make some new friends this year?

Yessir. The friends I made last year (Jennie, Kristie, Natalie, and Erica) led me to the Blathering, where I met a whole bunch more wonderful ladies, and I now spend way too much time on Twitter because of them. I got to know the mom of one of Sammy’s classmates better, enough to ask her to watch Sammy after school one day. I initiated playdates with a family we see at church every week, and we’re getting to know each other. And just this week, my down-the-street neighbor came over with her son so our boys could play and we could talk. It was lovely, and I can’t wait to do all of it again.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Being able to take surprises in stride more easily. I really need to work on my pessimistic hair trigger.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?

Non-existent, and we’ll leave it at that.

31. What kept you sane?

Twitter. Diet Dr. Pepper. Running.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I would like the Kardashians to go away. That’s probably not the answer this question was looking for.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

This hasn’t changes a bit since last year, except only to get worse, so I’ll say it again: I’d love for someday that a visit to the doctor won’t blow my budget out of the water, and for someday to be soon.

34. Who did you miss?

Anybody farther away than a 60 minute drive.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

You will never regret one minute spent dancing with your kids.

1 comment:

  1. For No. 3, you missed a certain old friend (and her Australian husband) who gave birth to the most adorable baby ever! :-)

    ReplyDelete